Many of you are wondering how you can help Andrew. We encourage everyone to raise their voices and contact their elected officials to ask for their help in speaking out about this issue.
We feel strongly that the more pressure we are able to apply, the sooner Andrew will be released.
What to say:
- As a constituent and a concerned citizen, I wanted to bring your attention to the news that American journalist Andrew Berends has been arrested by the Nigerian government while working on a documentary.
- Nigeria enjoys the highest level of diplomatic relations with the United States, and for an American journalist to be detained without representation and subjected to coercive questioning is both highly inappropriate and illegal.
- We ask you to make known your awareness and concern about this matter, contact your colleagues in Congress and the State Department, and work to ensure the good treatment and speedy release of Andrew Berends and his interpreter from Nigerian custody.
Senators from New York:
We would like everyone to call both their own local representatives and also the two Senators from New York State. When talking with New York reps, please add that Andrew is a New Yorker.
The contact information for NY senators Clinton and Schumer is:
- Senator Charles Schumer (D- NY) 212-486-4430
- Senator Hillary Rodham Clinton (D- NY) 212-688-6262
Please forward this call to action to anyone you think could help by making a call to their representatives and the NY senators.
We strongly encourage any of you with contacts in the media or blogosphere to tell Andrew’s story. Sustained media pressure will help shine a light on Nigeria’s mistreatment of foreign journalists. Please share this site with any media contacts you have. You can read each day’s press release here.